7 Reasons to Hire a Day-of-Wedding Planner
These days, many resources are available to help couples plan weddings themselves. With online budget templates and checklists, Pinterest inspiration and Youtube DIY tutorials, an organized person with a clear vision and available time can orchestrate a fabulous wedding! But, no bride or groom should be the main points of contact on their wedding day, no matter how organized and prepared they are. Not only will that inhibit them from fully relaxing and enjoying “Queen and King For A Day” status, it’s frustrating for vendors, the wedding party and guests who need assistance and direction.
Once the plans have been made, vendors secured and invitations are in the mail, couples need to hire a day-of-coordinator to ensure their wedding goes as planned. Here are seven of the most important ways day-of-wedding coordinators work to make a couple’s wedding day a success:
1. Timeline management. Many venues have limitations on how long their spaces can be utilized and charge extra fees when that time is exceeded. It’s the wedding coordinator’s job to keep couples from incurring additional costs by making sure they stay on schedule.
2. Checklist review. It helps to have a professional set of eyes review plans to identify gaps and oversights. A coordinator will make sure every item needed is accounted for from the unity candle and napkins down to the bride’s veil and Spanx!
3. Vendor, family and guest management. It is important to manage vendors’ arrival times and ensure they’re providing all the services agreed upon in the couple’s contract. Invitations provide family and guests with where to show up and when, but once that happens, they’ll need help figuring out where to leave gifts, where the nearest restrooms are and other logistical details. Not to mention, there are unique aspects of every family dynamic such as divorced parents, people with special needs, and other unique situations that a professional coordinator is trained to manage with care.
4. Rehearsal direction. This is a great opportunity for couples to see how all the most important people in their lives will come together in choreographed unity on their wedding day. As observers, they can make suggestions to tweak certain elements then sit back and relax as the coordinator makes magic happen.
5. Unwelcome surprise response. Nothing tops the comfort in having a professional spring into action when rain clouds appear out of nowhere or to sew a loose seam in a bride’s dress before she walks down the aisle.
6. Picture coordination. Many a timeline has been thrown off because the couple lacked a picture plan. Not only can a coordinator document must have pictures in advance, they can direct the process so that each one is taken in an efficient and organized manner.
7. Finishing touches. On a couple’s wedding day, they don’t have time or the opportunity to see and experience every creative element they planned and paid for. A professional ensures that the favors, decor and any other special details are set up in a way that’s picture perfect so they can see in photos (at a later date) what their guests see in person at the wedding.
If you know an engaged couple who does not have a professional to assist them in bringing their plans together, suggest day-of-coordination. It’s much more affordable than full service planning and will help them tremendously. If they don’t have enough funds to cover the costs, offer it as a gift. Them relaxing on their wedding day with only the love of their life in their thoughts is the sweetest gift they could receive and one they’ll always be thankful for.
Keshawn Hughes provides day-of-wedding coordination and advice through her company, Event Passion, LLC, located in Atlanta, Georgia.