- Generally cheaper as you are not paying a wait staff.
- Less wasted food as people will only choose what they want.
- Encourages guests to mingle with one another.
- Great for a smaller more casual wedding.
- More food options.
Disadvantages of Buffet Style
- Can cause confusion.
- People may eat more of what they like... leaving less behind.
- People walking around holding plates in their hands may be seen as tacky.
- The wait times for each table cause everyone to not eat together.
- More food options actually may cause the cost to go up.
- Gives your wedding a more upscale and formal feel.
- Portion control on food.
- Less work for your guests.
- Everyone eats together.
Disadvantages of Sit Down
- Less variety. You only get 2, maybe 3 options.
- Out of your budget.
- Having to hunt down wait staff.
- May not cater to everyone’s health needs.
As you can see, both have their pros and cons. I do believe it depends on the overall concept of your wedding. Is it being held on a beach or is it an elegant reception? Do you have guests with specific health needs? What is your budget? Just some things to consider. Do you have anything to add? I welcome your comments below!
Danielle is a self proclaimed wedding enthusiast and founder of Chic Brown Bride, a wedding and lifestyle blog for women of color. For more musings on weddings, life and style visit www.chicbrownbride.com.